Monday, November 30, 2009

Shrimp Scampi


One of my favorite childhood dishes is Shrimp Scampi  (my mom fed us well).  I grew up in South Florida and ate a lot of seafood.  One of my favorite restaurants served the best shrimp scampi that I ever had (at least that's what I thought when I was 10) and I would order it EVERY time we went there followed by the best piece of cheesecake I ever had.  So tonight I made scampi.  This time just for my husband and me.  The kids ate pizza because let's face it, shrimp is expensive and frankly, they weren't that great over the Thanksgiving break to warrant such a wonderful meal.  So they watched a movie and ate pizza and we opened a bottle of wine and made scampi.  I found this recipe in Gourmet magazine and it is delicious and only takes about 20 minutes to make.  I would serve it with a salad and garlic bread because you can never have enough garlic.

Shrimp Scampi
1/4 c. olive oil
1 lb. pound large shrimp (16 - 20), peeled and deveined
4 large garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 t. dried hot red pepper flakes
1/2 c. dry white wine
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black papper
5 T. unsalted butter
3/4 lb. angel-hair pasta
1/2 c. fresh, flat leaf parsley

Bring salted water to a boil.  Meanwhile, heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.  Saute shrimp, turning once until just cooked through, about 2 minutes, and transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.

Add garlic, red pepper, wine, salt and pepper to remaining oil in skillet and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute.  Add butter, stirring until melted then add shrimp.  Remove from heat.

Cook pasta about 3 minutes or until just tender.  reserve 1 cup water from pasta then drain pasta in a colander.  Toss pasta with shrimp mixture in a large bowl.  Add some pasta water if needed to keep moist.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Mmmm.
I could hardly believe it when I read Laura's blog about your blog. Now I get to cyber stalk you, just like I do her! In my mind's eye, I picture you cooking away on Arden. And since I often wished you would just email me your weekly menus off your wall calendar, I am one happy gal today.
Miss you!

Laura said...

nice, Amanda...sure...leave a comment on KRISSY's blog, but not mine.

although it is nice to know that someone else saw the menu on the wall....