Friday, November 27, 2009

leftovers, of course



Sick of turkey, yet?  Sick of your kids being off of school, yet?  Well, there's probably not much you can do about either one of those things so here are a couple of ways to take care of the turkey.  You're on your own with the kids...





Thanksgiving Sandwich
sliced bread - any kind you like (I like good, heavy bread for this)
leftover gravy
mayonnaise
cranberry sauce
arugula or any other lettuce
leftover stuffing (or dressing, if you're from the south)
leftover sliced turkey


Toast bread.  Heat gravy.  Spread mayo on one piece of bread and layer stuffing/dressing, turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, lettuce and toasted bread.  


* You may also mix the cranberry sauce and mayo together to make a spread.


Turkey Tortilla Soup
1 1/4 c. chicken broth
12 (6 in.) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 in. strips
1 1/4 c. green enchilada sauce
1 1/4 c. red enchilada sauce
1 t. ground cumin
2 c. cooked turkey, chopped
1 c. half and half
1 can corn or less
1/2 can black beans
1 avocado, sliced
1 c. shredded cheddar
dollop of sour cream


Combine chicken stock and tortilla strip in large pot and cook over medium heat until strips soften and broth thickens slightly.  Stir in red and green enchilada sauces and cumin.  Add turkey, half and half corn and black beans.  Heat through but do not boil.  Divide soup among four bowls and garnish with avocado, cheddar and sour cream.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy crap. This blog may be just too much for see so early on a Friday morning in LA. But Laura sent me over and now I'm here and I kinda wished I hadn't read the line where you tell us you cook for your family every night but I have and now I'm stuck with feeling like crap for the rest of the day.

:-)

Okay. I'm inspired. I'm gonna follow and maybe you'll turn me into a powerhouse in the kitchen. Can't wait.

Weza said...

So I like the sound of the tortilla soup. Yum! Will have to google the red and green sauce and see what is our equivalent here. Mmmm.
I am enjoying your blog. REALLY!

Laura said...

do you have a work out program that goes along with this?

Widge said...

I've always loved the sound of a thanks giving left over sandwich. my mouth is watering right now