Tuesday, December 1, 2009

a little sad...

For a while now I have been saying that the only "baby" thing I have left are my twins' teeth.  Neither one of them have lost any teeth yet and they'll be 6 years old next month.  Baby teeth are great.  All those little chicklets line up perfectly are what keeps little kids looking like babies...and I love it.  But today Mason lost his first tooth.  He was so proud that it came out that he carried it around all day in a little square box that said "my tooth" on it.  He even brought it on the trampoline.




As I watched my kids playing in the back yard, I really looked at them and realized that I don't have any babies anymore.  As a mom, that's a hard pill to swallow.  All the times I thought it would be so great when they got older just hit me as something I'm not sure I'm ready for yet.  I'm now starting to understand the hated "enjoy this time because the grow up so fast" comments.  Now I feel like I'm scrambling to keep them as young as I can.  How do you handle that transition?  Feeling like you can actually take a breath from all the manual labor of having little ones and then wanting to freeze them in time because they are getting TOO old.   It's not something I'm ready for but I guess I'll figure it out just like I did with everything else...for better or worse.

So tonight I let Mason decide what was for dinner and without even finishing my sentence he said, "Mac-n-Cheese!".  And as much as I hate mac-n-cheese (not the homemade kind that I make but the one from the box) I will admit that there are days that I thank the Kraft people (and their powdered cheese) for putting dinner on the table.  So here's our delicious meal for tonight including a "meat" (hot dogs chosen by his older brother) and veggies/fruit (that I added myself because once you put those on a plate it's a well-rounded meal).




I guess I shouldn't feel too bad, though, because I'm lucky enough to have twins so I still have one mouth full of perfect little chicklets.  And if I look at Nate and squint my eyes, I can pretend it's Mason, too.


1 comment:

Laura said...

NO WAY
They are too big, and I truly hate you for taking them away from me.
OK I dont hate you
But holy moly
Mason looks like DREW...and Nate..well, he of course, looks like his God Mother...

and by the way, I made the same dinner last week....